Playpens or as popularly known as play yards are necessary for your baby. They may not be as essential as diapers, but they play a large role in the development of a child. It is worth noting that they are different from baby gates. They come with extra features for the comfort and the relaxation of the child.
When it comes to the best playpen, they are available in different shapes and with a broad range of features. Standard playpens consist of a metal frame covered with fabric. Bassinet is also a part of many play yards. Other features include, diaper storage, removable toy bars, and changing tables where some have wheels.
Today, the market is filled with various models of playpens. It is all depends on what you want for your child. It is also dependent on the amount of money you are willing to spend. Here are some of the best playpens to help you make a buying decision.
This playpen from Best Choice Products provides your child with an expansive area to move around. It is built with durable materials to enhance stability and decorated to appeal to the little ones. It comes with eight removable and adjustable panels.
The spacious playpen encourages the child to move around and if they are at the crawling stage, they can learn how to stand easily. The edges of the play yard provide a great haven for your child to make those first steps. The doors lock safely and when opened they swing smoothly. The playpen comes with a play phone and a picture house.
When assembled it measures 63 inches in diameter and each of the panels is 31-inch in width by 23.5-inch in height. It is appropriate for children of up to 4 years of age. The playpen will cost you about $120.00.
- It provides a spacious place for the kids to play.
- It is durable enough to stand the pressure from the kids as they have their fun.
- It can be used for kids of up to 4 years, meaning that you can place your younger children in the pen as you do house chores.
- It is highly stable to ensure maximum safety as the kids play.
- Its activity board comprises of telephone and baby spinners, which are excellent for kids to play with.
- It does not provide a place for the kid to sleep.
- Moving the playpen can be challenging, especially when you want to take it outdoors, since it will require dismantling.
This Playpen is spacious. However, it is only suited for older toddlers and little kids since it lacks a bassinet and other features necessary for infants.
This hexagonal playpen is the pride of most parents. It offers a spacious place to play within, about 18.5sq feet. Besides, it also comes with two extensions to increase the enclosed area to about 34.4sq feet. It stands tall at 26 inches. It also comes with six colorful panels, which makes the play yard more magical for children of up to four years.
It can be used outdoors and indoors. It is completely fixed with non-slip pads to work on different surfaces. The playard remains stable, regardless of the pressure placed on it. All the features mentioned above cost $60.00.
- It is large to accommodate your child and their playmates.
- It can be installed outdoors and indoors.
- It is colorful and hence, appealing to kids. It also transforms any space you place it.
- The enclosure is expandable through the additional two panels.
- It is made of hard plastic, which is designed for harsh weather outdoors and it is easy to clean.
- It is made of plastic and hence, optimal durability is not guaranteed.
- It cannot be used to offer comfort to infants and you cannot carry it outside.
North States Superyard Play Yard is a signature playpen, beautifully crafted for the little ones. With the large space area it offers, its price is affordable. However, it is made purely of plastic. Hence, it does not guarantee longevity.
This beautiful playpen is best suited for infants and especially those who are yet to start crawling and climbing. It consists of a rectangular frame covered with lovely fabric. The cloth covers a small outline of the rectangular block, leaving the mesh windows for visibility and efficient air circulation.
When not in use, it can be stored in its bag and moved away. Besides, you can take it to a friend or relative’s house, to keep your child busy as you catch up. You can add in any toys of your choice to allow the child to play with. It retails for about $45.00.
- It is easy to install and can be set up in seconds.
- It offers a bassinet or a small mattress where your baby can play.
- The two wheels makes the mobility more efficient.
- Has mesh windows for clear visibility and improved flow of air.
- It is easy to transport. It weighs 22 pounds.
- It measures 28.5 by 8.5 by 9 inches, which limits it to infants.
- The playpen can only accommodate one baby.
Cosco Juvenile Funsport Play Yard, Kontiki is important when your baby is still young. The good thing about it is that it can be packed and carried to any destination. Its installation is also easy. However, for older toddlers, one may have to look for other options.
Of all the playpens mentioned above, the Best Choice Products Baby Playpen Kids 8 Panel Safety Play Center Yard takes the crown as the best playpen. While its price is a bit high, it has excellent features including eight panels and extensions.
North States Superyard Play Yard, Colorplay, 6 Panel comes second due to the area it provides with its six colorful panels and it is also affordable. In addition, Cosco Juvenile Funsport Play Yard, Kontiki is third, owing to its limited use. However, it is highly recommended for infants, since it can be used as a crib too.